Event #55: The $50,000 Poker Players' Championship

Nivo: 22

Triple Draw 2-7 - Limit Hold'em - Omaha-8 - blinds 40,000-80,000; limits 80,000-160,000
Razz - Stud - Stud-8 - ante 20,000; bring-in 20,000; complete 80,000; limits 80,000-160,000
No-Limit Hold'em - Pot-Limit Omaha - ante (NLHE only) 10,000; blinds 20,000-40,000

Event #55: The $50,000 Poker Players' Championship
Dan 4 končan

Nguyen Leads Final Table; Duhamel & Benyamine Remain

Chad_Holloway • Nivo 21
Six of the eight $50,000 Poker Players' Championship finalist.
Six of the eight $50,000 Poker Players' Championship finalist.

The 2013 World Series of Poker continued Wednesday with Day 4 of the $50,000 Poker Players' Championship. At 2 p.m. local time, the remaining 26 players of a 132-player field returned to the Amazon Room to play through the money bubble on the way to the final table. It took four and a half levels of play to do it, but now just eight players remain.

Leading the way is Don Nguyen, who bagged up 5,680,000. While he is best position to capture the $1,774,089 first-place prize, he faces some stiff competition in Matthew Ashton (2,996,000), George Danzer (2,868,000), David Benyamine (2,709,000), Minh Ly (2,307,000), Jonathan Duhamel (1,627,000), John Hennigan (1,412,000) and Mike Wattel (810,000).

Obviously those players all had good days, but 18 others did not. John Juanda was the first to leave, but he was soon followed out the door by Joe Hachem, Stephen Chidwick, Greg Mueller, Erick Lindgren, David Bach, Justin Smith, all of who fell in the first level of play.

From there, the eliminations of Mike Leah and Max Pescatori brought about the money bubble. Alas, there would be no bubble boy as two players, Joe Cassidy and Gary Benson, busted at the same time to split 16th-place money, each taking home $55,947.

From there the in-the-money eliminations began to mount and included Troy Burkholder (15th - $111,893), Kevin Song (14th - $128,620), Tommy Hang (13th - $128,620), Bryn Kenney (12th - $147,882) and Huck Seed.

Seed's demise actually came in Level 20 when Seed moved all in for 223,000 from middle position and received a call from Matthew Ashton in the cutoff. The rest of the field folded and the cards were turned up.

Seed: {a-Spades}{j-Hearts}
Ashton: {a-Hearts}{k-Hearts}

It was a bad spot for Seed, and according to the PokerNews Odds Calculator, he only had a 22.83% chance of surviving the hand with a 4.5% chance of a tie. That meant Ashton would win 72.67% of the time, and that actually increased to 88.18% on the {7-Hearts}{2-Hearts}{6-Diamonds} flop.

Seed still had a 9.69% chance of catching a jack, but the {8-Clubs} turn saw that drop to 6.82%. The dealer burned one last time and put out the {3-Spades}. Seed missed and became the 2013 WSOP $50,000 Poker Players' Championship 11th-place finisher.

After Michael Glick and Mike Gorodinsky were sent home in tenth and ninth place respectively, the official final table was set.

The fifth and final day is schedule for 2 p.m. PDT on Thursday, and of course the PokerNews Live Reporting Team will be bring you all the action on the way to determining a new $50,000 Poker Players' Champion.

Official Final Table Seating and Chip Counts

[user139916] • Nivo 21
1Matthew AshtonUK2,996,000
2Jonathan DuhamelCanada1,627,000
3Don NguyenUSA5,068,000
4Mike WattelUSA810,000
5George DanzerGermany2,868,000
6Minh LyUSA2,307,000
7John HenniganUSA1,412,000
8David BenyamineFrance2,709,000

Mike Gorodinsky Eliminated in 9th Place ($173,796)

• Nivo 21
Mike Gorodinsky  - 9th Place
Mike Gorodinsky - 9th Place

Pot-Limit Omaha

David Benyamine limped in in early position, Mike Gorodinsky called in middle position, George Danzer called in the small blind, and Minh Ly checked in the big blind.

The flop fell {6-Hearts}{4-Spades}{10-Spades}, Danzer checked, Ly bet the pot (120,000), Benyamine called, and Gorodinsky tanked for a bit before calling as well. Danzer folded.

The turn was the {j-Diamonds}, Ly checked, Benyamine fired 380,000, and Gorodinsky called all in for 118,000. Ly folded.

Benyamine: {a-Clubs}{10-Diamonds}{6-Clubs}{2-Diamonds}
Gorodinsky: {a-Diamonds}{9-Diamonds}{8-Clubs}{7-Hearts}

Benyamine had tens and sixes, Gorodinsky held a wrap, and the {j-Clubs} bricked off on the river. Gorodinsky was eliminated just short of the official final table, earning $173,796, while Benyamine will join the seven other players in the mothership tomorrow.

Mike Gorodinsky us
Mike Gorodinsky
us Izpadel

Oznake: David BenyamineMike GorodinskyGeorge DanzerMinh Ly

Pair of Aces for Ashton

• Nivo 21

Pot-Limit Omaha

David Benyamine raised to 60,000 in the cutoff, Matthew Ashton called on the button, and Jonathan Duhamel defended his big blind. The trio checked on a flop of {2-Clubs}{j-Hearts}{10-Clubs}, and the turn brought the {a-Diamonds}. Duhamel checked, Benyamine fired out 75,000, and only Ashton called.

Both players knuckled when the {4-Diamonds} completed the board, and Ashton won with {a-Spades}{k-Diamonds}{6-Clubs}{5-Spades} for a pair of aces.

Matthew Ashton gb
Matthew Ashton
gb 2,950,000 60,000
David Benyamine fr
David Benyamine
fr 2,450,000 -190,000

Oznake: David BenyamineJonathan DuhamelMatthew Ashton

Ly vs. Benyamine

Chad_Holloway • Nivo 21


Minh Ly: {x-}{x-} / {7-}{4-}{j-}{q-} / {x-}
David Benyamine: {x-}{x-} / {8-}{3-}{2-}{7-} / {x-}

Minh Ly completed and received a call from David Benyamine. The latter then called a bet on fourth before taking the lead and firing out. Ly called and then the action repeated itself on sixth. When Benyamine bet for a final time on seventh, Ly squeezed out his card and then folded his hand.

David Benyamine fr
David Benyamine
fr 2,640,000 1,089,000
Minh Ly us
Minh Ly
us 2,220,000 -647,000

Oznake: Minh LyDavid Benyamine

Gorodinsky Sliding

Chad_Holloway • Nivo 21


Mike Gorodinsky raised and received calls from Don Nguyen and George Danzer. The {q-Hearts}{j-Clubs}{a-Clubs} flop saw Gorodinsky bet, the other two players call and the {2-Diamonds} turn. Gorodinsky bet for a second time, Nguyen folded and Danzer called. When the {A-Spades} completed the board on the river, Gorodinsky check-folded to a bet.

George Danzer de
George Danzer
de 2,950,000 137,000
Mike Gorodinsky us
Mike Gorodinsky
us 515,000 -330,000

Oznake: George DanzerMike Gorodinsky

Ashton Scoops Nguyen; Nearing Three Million

• Nivo 21
Matthew Ashton
Matthew Ashton


Matthew Ashton raised in the hijack seat, Don Nguyen called out of the small blind, and the flop fell {8-Clubs}{4-Hearts}{q-Spades}. Nguyen check-called a bet, then check-raised when the {4-Spades} turned. Ashton called.

The {6-Hearts} completed the board, Nguyen check-called a bet, and Ashton showed {a-Diamonds}{a-Spades}{2-Clubs}{9-Hearts} for aces and fours with the nut-low. Nguyen mucked.

Don Nguyen us
Don Nguyen
us 5,150,000 -450,000
Matthew Ashton gb
Matthew Ashton
gb 2,890,000 514,000

Oznake: Don NguyenMatthew Ashton